“If you learn to touch-type, you can increase that speed to 60-100 wpm.“ — Ben Hunt, (2007)
DIGITAL LITERACY CATEGORIES
2. DEMONSTRATE THE RESPONSIBLE USE OF TECHNOLOGY AND UNDERSTANDING OF ETHICS AND SAFETY ISSUES IN USING ELECTRONIC MEDIA AT HOME, IN SCHOOL AND IN SOCIETY. Click Here
Trimester 1 – Keyboarding Basics 101: Students learn the location of each key on the keyboard, (re-enforces letter recognition), differentiating between upper case and lower case letters, (re-enforces the usage of special keys – caps lock), proper posture, and proper hand positioning and proper finger names.
Trimester 2 – Keyboarding Basics 102: Students learn the names of each row; bottom row also called the first row or ZXCVB row, HOME row – ASDFG, and QWERTY row. Students practice identifying the special keys. In addition, the students learn how to turn on and off the computer and describe how to navigate using the mouse to the word processing icons on the Desk Top. Students then practice using in real-time the keys and special characters on the word processing programs as listed below:
- Microsft Word 2010 – Office 365 – $9.95 subscription per month (Click Here)
- Open Office 4.1.2 – TEXT DOCUMENT – Free Download (Click Here)
Trimester 3 – Students use word processing programs with sentence stems to practice typing, improve accuracy, and use special characters in a real-world practial holistic approach. Towards the middle of the trimester students begin using the Typing Club to work on practical keyboarding practice lessons 1-21. The goal of 1st grade is to type with 80% accuracy at 10 wpm.
ISTE Standards Addressed:
#6: Technology Operations and Concepts: Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations.
- Understand and use technology systems
- Select and use applications effectively and productively
CCSS ELA Standards Addressed:
W.1.6. With guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
KEYBOARDING SKILLS 101:
- Understand location of home row keys and finger placement
- Demonstrate correct use of right and left hands
- Learn correct body and hand positions
- Identify letters and numbers on the keyboard
- Identify the location of special keys
- Demonstrate the single space between each word in the sentence by using the space bar, letter keys
- Demonstrate the location of number keys, enter/return key, arrow keys, Esc key, delete key, and shift keys on the keyboard